Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Sans Artificial Sweetness

I savor this cup with a tongue that must die,

With many clear cut warnings

echoing in my head.

“The venom in its flavor

shall destroy you in a sip.”

So they say.

Yes, it is imperfect.

So different from how I used to make it.

I have always loved it sweet.

Drinking a cup after another.

But one day,

I ran out of sweetness.

With a sugarless coffee, I settled.

I had to… I just had to…

for I can’t last without a cup

to keep me sane in a deadline-oriented world.

Now it has no sugar,

No artificial sweetness.

No nothings to lessen its stinging bitterness

Flawed, indeed, but not poisoned.

Delightful in its imperfections…

Bare.

Bitter but honest.

Brave.

Too brave in fact.

Forcing me to open my eyes…

And see beauty in its imperfections.

Imperfect, it is…

Yet in its flaws,

I surrendered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

such a sad but wonderful poem, i like this.